WARNING: This server is unstable and will be retired in the next days.
If you want to keep this forum available, please request immediately a migration
on the Nabble Support forum.
Forums that don't receive any migration request will be deleted forever.
Your message dated Mon, 06 Feb 2012 00:02:22 +0000
with message-id <E1RuC2I-0001eh-FR@...>
and subject line Bug#647915: fixed in dpkg 1.16.2~wipmultiarch
has caused the Debian Bug report #647915,
regarding dpkg-deb: xz compression does not support extreme variants
to be marked as done.
This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
Bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.
(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what this
message is talking about, this may indicate a serious mail system
misconfiguration somewhere. Please contact owner@... immediately.)
I wanted all udebs to use the xz compression level 0e, which is accomplished by
passing -0 -e or just -0e to xz. However dpkg-deb currently wants an integral
value for the compression level. As stated in  -e is actually very useful
at least for this set of packages, going from 50M (gzip/amd64) to 40M instead
of 43M without it. That's of course at the expense of taking longer to
compile, but that's ok with udebs.
The differing compression of udebs will be handled in debhelper's dh_builddeb,
which already special-cases them. Can we get -e support in due course in
Kernel: Linux 3.1.0 (SMP w/4 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_US.utf8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Versions of packages dpkg depends on:
ii coreutils 8.13-3
ii libbz2-1.0 1.0.5-7
ii libc6 2.13-21
ii libselinux1 2.1.0-1
ii xz-utils 5.1.1alpha+20110809-2
ii zlib1g 1:184.108.40.206.dfsg-3
dpkg recommends no packages.
Versions of packages dpkg suggests:
ii apt 0.8.15.8
-- no debconf information
We believe that the bug you reported is fixed in the latest version of
dpkg, which is due to be installed in the Debian FTP archive:
A summary of the changes between this version and the previous one is
Thank you for reporting the bug, which will now be closed. If you
have further comments please address them to 647915@...,
and the maintainer will reopen the bug report if appropriate.
Debian distribution maintenance software
Guillem Jover <guillem@...> (supplier of updated dpkg package)
(This message was generated automatically at their request; if you
believe that there is a problem with it please contact the archive
administrators by mailing ftpmaster@...)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 23:39:40 +0100
Binary: libdpkg-dev dpkg dpkg-dev libdpkg-perl dselect
Architecture: source amd64 all
Maintainer: Dpkg Developers <debian-dpkg@...>
Changed-By: Guillem Jover <guillem@...>
dpkg - Debian package management system
dpkg-dev - Debian package development tools
dselect - Debian package management front-end
libdpkg-dev - Debian package management static library
libdpkg-perl - Dpkg perl modules
Closes: 192619 229357 367608 427945 595144 608884 627832 636238 642473 642608 642802 643746 643969 644370 646496 647915 648180 648217 649248 651481 651813 651993 652414 653575 654453 654626 655411 656496 657849
dpkg (1.16.2~wipmultiarch) experimental; urgency=low
This is a WIP release, command line interfaces *will* change.
[ Guillem Jover ]
* Move <config.h> and <compat.h> to the top of trigdeferred.l to properly
use the configured features and compat code.
* Honour --disable-nls when the system lacks obstack support, by updating
the obstack compat module from gnulib.
* Link the libdpkg unit tests with libcompat and libintl, so that systems
needing them will compile correctly.
* Check for the presence of the strnlen declaration and correctly provide
the compat one in case the systems lacks it.
* Do not assume existence of paths on the build system in the test suite.
* Do not fail to link dselect on MacOS X when using --disable-nls.
* Remove versioned coreutils Pre-Depends from dpkg due to the ancient
md5sum transition. Reported by Bill Allombert <ballombe@...>.
* Change dpkg-architecture to only compute the requested variables. This:
- Fixes the bootstrapping problem, as the dpkg build system only needs
the host architecture, for which dpkg itself is not required.
- Reduces the amount of work performed, including loading and parsing
unnecessary table files or calling either of gcc or dpkg programs.
* Improve error message in dpkg-gencontrol and dpkg-gensymbols when
debian/control does not have any package stanza. Closes: #642473
Based on a patch by Kyle Willmon <kylewillmon@...>.
* Add Pre-Depends on tar >= 1.23 (satisfied in stable) to dpkg due to it
using the ‘--warning=no-timestamp’ option. Closes: #642802
* Do not segfault on GNU/Linux when dpkg cannot retrieve the block size
for the filesystem containing the info database. LP: #872734
* Fix two memory leaks per tar entry in the tar extractor used on unpack.
* Mark dpkg and dselect as Multi-Arch foreign.
Reported by Steve Langasek <vorlon@...>.
* Mark dpkg-dev and libdpkg-perl as Multi-Arch foreign. Closes: #648217
Thanks to Colin Watson <cjwatson@...>.
* Add new deb-origin.5 man page. Closes: #608884
Thanks to Matt Kraai <kraai@...>.
* Return correct status on start-stop-daemon --status when using --pidfile.
* Treat dpkg-deb compression level independently for each backend. This
has the effect of changing the current behaviour for level 0 on all
compressors except gzip.
* Add new dpkg-deb -S option to specify the compression strategy. The only
currently supported value is “extreme” for xz. Closes: #647915
* Stop using brace expansion to install man pages by using dh_installman
instead of dh_install, the former does not abort on empty glob expansion.
* Do not use absolute paths for programs in perl and shell code.
* Add missing ‘*’ in asprintf() and vasprintf() compat declarations.
* Add support for virtual output binary:Summary and db:Status-Abbrev fields.
Closes: #192619, #427945
* Add support for virtual output source:Package and source:Version fields.
* Use a different temporary file per process on libcompat's vsnprintf()
function to avoid race conditions from children after fork(3).
Reported by Daniel Ruoso <daniel@...>. Closes: #655411
* Fix start-stop-daemon --exec and --name options on FreeBSD, NetBSD and
OpenBSD by swapping the process matching implementations.
* Fix start-stop-daemon --name option on GNU/Hurd to match the process name.
* Document in more detail the implications of start-stop-daemon matching
options. Closes: #367608
* Improve and clarify dpkg-shlibdeps superfluous linking warning messages.
Based on a patch by Peter Eisentraut <petere@...>. Closes: #656496
[ Raphaël Hertzog ]
* Update Dpkg::Shlibs to look into multiarch paths when cross-building
too. Closes: #595144
* Rewrite architecture.mk with explicit loops instead of duplicating many
similar lines. Based on a patch by Thorsten Glaser <tg@...>.
* Modify dpkg-gencontrol and dpkg-distaddfile to grab a write lock
on debian/control before updating debian/files to avoid simultaneous
updates. Closes: #642608
Add libfile-fcntllock-perl to dpkg-dev's Depends since we use this module
to handle the locking.
* Update dpkg-gensymbols(1) to clarify that -e accepts shell patterns
expansions and not regular expressions. And let dpkg-gensymbols output a
warning when a pattern doesn't match any file. Closes: #649248
* Add new option "-a <arch>" to dpkg-checkbuilddeps to check build
dependencies for another architecture. This is really basic for now since
it assumes all build dependencies must be satisfied on the listed
architecture. Closes: #648180 Thanks to Colin Watson for the patch.
* Error out if a dpkg database .list file is not a regular file. LP: #369898
* Fix dpkg-mergechangelogs to not error out on invalid versions.
* Fix dpkg-source --commit on "3.0 (quilt)" when an explicit patch file
is given with a relative filename. Closes: #652414
* Further clarify in dpkg-source(1) the conditions under which it's possible
to pass an explicit patch file to dpkg-source --commit.
* Add new --query-features command to dpkg-buildflags. Thanks to Kees Cook
for the patch. Closes: #651481
* Fix description of Multi-Arch in deb-control(5). Closes: #654453
Thanks to Jakub Wilk for spotting the mistake.
* Drop misleading spaces in deb-symbols(5) in the format description.
* Clean up dpkg-architecture(1) dropping useless information and
adding a reference to /usr/share/dpkg/architecture.mk.
* Update dpkg-buildpackage to use the "build-arch" (for -B) and
"build-indep" (for -A) targets unless "make -qn" says that they do not
exist. Closes: #229357
[ Jonathan Nieder ]
* Bump po4a version in Build-Depends to 0.41, since earlier versions do
not handle --srcdir correctly. Closes: #644370
[ Helge Kreutzmann ]
* Fix a typo in man/dpkg-deb.1.
[ Updated dpkg translations ]
* German (Sven Joachim).
* Italian (Milo Casagrande). Closes: #627832, #657849
* Swedish (Peter Krefting).
* French (Christian Perrier)
[ Updated scripts translations ]
* German (Helge Kreutzmann).
* Spanish (Omar Campagne). Closes: #636238
* Swedish (Peter Krefting).
[ Updated man page translations ]
* German (Helge Kreutzmann), including typo fix in dpkg-genchanges
Closes: #646496, sub optimal translation of package states LP: #368783
and an fix by Chris Leick
* Japanese (TAKAHASHI Motonobu).
* Spanish (Omar Campagne). Closes: #643969
* Swedish (Peter Krefting).
* Minor errors corrected in French (thanks to David Prévot)
* Fix translation of -B and -A options of dpkg-buildpackage.
Thanks to Vincent Danjean. Closes: #654626
[ Updated dselect translations ]
* Dutch (Jeroen Schot). Closes: #651813
5b350a13d4749a68f55688f53bd934ca33b7bc34 1414 dpkg_1.16.2~wipmultiarch.dsc
e3c394da92562bc2bf9bb18a6832c575b32cc2a0 5569622 dpkg_1.16.2~wipmultiarch.tar.bz2
7ce788ea96a3df3cda27c34e5769a48ccfd4cfe1 609206 libdpkg-dev_1.16.2~wipmultiarch_amd64.deb
840f46fce0fcf7c1214924582a1100dd8d358bc4 2086476 dpkg_1.16.2~wipmultiarch_amd64.deb
ee2acabe565079c9f1b559443bdc780079040aeb 1000514 dselect_1.16.2~wipmultiarch_amd64.deb
a6d02b21cd5eac118de310187eae7a6bb63943c5 635810 dpkg-dev_1.16.2~wipmultiarch_all.deb
728863e43f9185e3182eb78d807b670441e9dd94 851128 libdpkg-perl_1.16.2~wipmultiarch_all.deb
ce7050ed905c72f823fdb183714f5b5c546e5015ec79dbdf759281c7c60faaae 1414 dpkg_1.16.2~wipmultiarch.dsc
24b73f91f9e93ddd984172b35a52e6818c2195002ff4d5e72898712d802a3efa 5569622 dpkg_1.16.2~wipmultiarch.tar.bz2
8a31ad426d8b7e363cce14516d73be1575b724a2683c80322c14f379b60e7efb 609206 libdpkg-dev_1.16.2~wipmultiarch_amd64.deb
e3f3cef7dd88a5632b4139a042b8943397e512699504ca9abdf3ee97604a9208 2086476 dpkg_1.16.2~wipmultiarch_amd64.deb
2addf6880dc5d2ee2a817519987fdc9a59751d511de4aa689b19095c0392c4b4 1000514 dselect_1.16.2~wipmultiarch_amd64.deb
f4a65c7ebd66f7e5eba877d7a9af98ebb33ea9755fd72730d7f9416e6d0b8b7d 635810 dpkg-dev_1.16.2~wipmultiarch_all.deb
d972b0812219c2afaca254306e8bf5e3feca49c4324924a5c5bb640447cca72d 851128 libdpkg-perl_1.16.2~wipmultiarch_all.deb
7c1aa845fad678163118b63c2053aee3 1414 admin required dpkg_1.16.2~wipmultiarch.dsc
2c02844dc317beaf6d5f4e22e966813c 5569622 admin required dpkg_1.16.2~wipmultiarch.tar.bz2
f49a6d3e6ea649b8bb36afd41258bd3c 609206 libdevel optional libdpkg-dev_1.16.2~wipmultiarch_amd64.deb
6b3fba7d1254c0e0dda083c94e01a749 2086476 admin required dpkg_1.16.2~wipmultiarch_amd64.deb
fec42261e17f7b60a8cb2339d8b4fa1a 1000514 admin optional dselect_1.16.2~wipmultiarch_amd64.deb
64b69c596994b4716ed8a0f7ef6c2d0e 635810 utils optional dpkg-dev_1.16.2~wipmultiarch_all.deb
c8e38c68397fda8dc171bc2a6d7e0c4f 851128 perl optional libdpkg-perl_1.16.2~wipmultiarch_all.deb