View: New views
1 Messages — Rating Filter: Alert me
GNU M4 1.4.6 released
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
The GNU M4 Team is pleased to announce the release of GNU M4 1.4.6.
GNU `m4' is an implementation of the traditional Unix macro processor. It
is mostly SVR4 compatible, although it has some extensions (for example,
handling more than 9 positional parameters to macros). `m4' also has
built-in functions for including files, running shell commands, doing
arithmetic, etc. Autoconf needs GNU `m4' for generating `configure'
scripts, but not for running them.
This release has several fixes for regular expression handling that fix a
memory leak and testsuite failures in 1.4.5. It improves file descriptor
handling, to detect errors that were previously ignored. It adds a new
macro, __program__, and better complies with GNU Coding Standards in its
error messages. It is recommended that users of all previous versions of
m4 upgrade to this stable version.
New in 1.4.6: 25 August 2006
* Fix buffer overruns in regexp and patsubst macros when handed a trailing
backslash in the replacement text, or when handling \n substitutions
beyond the number of \(\) groups.
* Fix memory leak in regexp, patsubst, and changeword macros.
* The format macro now understands %F, %g, and %G.
* When loading frozen files, m4 now exits with status 63 if version
mismatch is detected.
* Fix bugs that occurred when invoked with stdout or stderr closed,
and detect write failures to stdout or to the target of the
debugfile macro. In particular, the syscmd and esyscmd macros can
no longer interfere with the debug stream or diversions.
* The m4exit macro now converts values outside the range 0-255 to 1.
* It is now an error if a command-line input file ends in the middle of a
comment, matching the behavior of mid-string and mid-argument
* The dnl macro now warns if end of file is encountered instead of a
* The error message when end of file is encountered now uses the file and
line where the dangling construct started, rather than `NONE:0:'.
* The debugmode and __file__ macros, and the -s/--synclines option, now
show what directory a file was found in when the -I/--include option or
M4PATH variable had an effect.
* The changequote and changecom macros now work with 8-bit characters, and
quotes and comments that begin with `(' are properly recognized
following a word.
* The new macro __program__ is added, which allows the input file to issue
an error message that resembles messages from m4. Warning and error
messages have been reformatted to comply with GNU Coding Standards.
* The errprint, m4wrap, and shift macros are now recognized only with
* The index, substr, translit, regexp, and patsubst macros now produce
output when given only one argument, but still warn about a missing
* The patsubst macro now reliably finds zero-length matches at the end
of a string.
m4-1.4.6 is available now from ftp.gnu.org, along with diffs and xdeltas
against m4-1.4.5 that are also available from ftp.gnu.org. Please use a
mirror to reduce stress on the main gnu machine:
Here are the compressed sources:
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/m4/m4-1.4.6.tar.gz [621 KB]
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/m4/m4-1.4.6.tar.bz2 [496 KB]
Here are the xdeltas and diffs against m4-1.4.5:
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/m4/m4-1.4.5-1.4.6.diff.gz [146 KB]
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/m4/m4-1.4.5-1.4.6.xdelta [64 KB]
Here are the gpg detached signatures:
You should download the signature named after any tarball you download,
and then verify its integrity with, for example:
gpg --verify m4-1.4.6.tar.gz.sig
If that command fails because you don't have the required public key,
then run this command to import it:
gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys F4850180
Here are the MD5 and SHA1 checksums:
This release was bootstrapped with Autoconf 2.60, Automake 1.9.6, and CVS
Alternatively, you can fetch the unbootstrapped sourcecode from anonymous
cvs by using the following commands:
$ export CVS_RSH=ssh
$ cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous@...:/sources/m4 \
co -r release-1_4_6 m4
You will then need to have the latest release versions of Automake (1.9.6)
and Autoconf (2.60) installed to bootstrap the checked out sources yourself.
Please report bugs to <bug-m4@...>, along with the output of 'make
check' and any other information that might be useful in resolving the issue.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v22.214.171.124 (Cygwin)
Comment: Public key at home.comcast.net/~ericblake/eblake.gpg
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
M4-announce mailing list
|Free embeddable forum powered by Nabble||Forum Help|