I need to physically move some disks/aggregates to another
controller. Do you see anything wrong with this procedure?
1) upgrade DOT to the same version on both heads (7.3.3)
2) shut down and power off both heads
3) physically move the disk shelves
4) boot the destination head in maintenance mode and use
"disk assign" to take ownership of the moved disks
5) boot the destination head normally
6) aggr online the foreign aggregates
I am concerned about step 4 above. Will it work or do I need
to boot the source filer in maintenance mode and change the disk
ownership to the destination head before moving the disks?
In step 5 some of the foreign aggregates will have names that
conflict with native aggregates. I presume that when ONTAP
boots it will automatically rename the foreign aggrs as
necessary. Or must I rename them on the source filer beforehand?
I know that some of you do this routinely, so I appreciate
any words of advice.