To summarize a few problems with a 3.0 kernel and the wi2wi module on an
overo fire (same problems on the air version too):
I would really love to see someone proving me wrong here, because these
problems are the reasons I would not recommend anyone to buy any gumstix
with a wifi/bluetooth module on it.
- Effective WiFi transfer rate is 1Mbps, and nothing con be done to fix it
to some acceptable level.
- Once the libertas_sdio driver module has loaded, the module draws an extra
120mA from the power supply, even if the link is not being used at all. Only
workaround is to use GPIO 16 to disable the module, but the module is then
unusable until reboot (even though setting the GPIO back re-starts the 120mA
- In ad-hoc mode, the wifi can or will not use encryption at all. No known
workaround or fix.
- The module does not respond to any power related iwconfig command, for
example "iwconfig wlan0 power off" results in "SET failed on device wlan0 ;
Operation not supported.", just like attempts to set the transfer rate and
similar parameters. No workaround or fix available.
- The bluetooth module is limited to 115kbps transfer. This is due to the
UART connection between the omap and the module. Any attempt to set a higher
baud rate results in failure to communicate with the module, even though bot
sides have support for 1Mbps and even higher rates. There is no known
workaround of fix for this.